Are you short of outdoor space for a clothesline? Do you live in an area with high humidity or rainfall, or find it difficult to dry your clothes in the winter months? Do you frequently find yourself putting on damp clothes because you don’t have time to let them dry properly? If this is the case, a clothes dryer can save a lot of hassle on laundry day! Read on for more information about why owning a dryer could help make your life easier every week.
How Do Clothes Dryers Work?
Some industrial dryers run on gas, but most domestic clothes dryers use electricity to generate heat in a heating element, much like the one you find in your oven.
Clothes dryers need both a heat source and a way of removing the moisture from your clothes in order to dry them. There are three main types of dryers, which differ mainly in the way that moisture is removed:
- Vented dryers take damp air from the machine to the outside of the house via a hose.
- Heat pump condenser dryers do not need to be vented; they recycle warm air, making them more efficient.
- Condenser dryers trap water from your clothes inside the machine, which you can empty later.
Reasons for Using a Clothes Dryer
There are many reasons why people use clothes dryers:
- Quicker than natural drying – These days, many of us lead busy lives and don’t always have the time to let clothes dry naturally. Having a dryer means that you can wash and re-wear outfits in a shorter time — a benefit that’s especially valuable for large families and busy mums.
- Saves space – Not everyone has outdoor clothesline space. Dryers are ideal for apartment dwellers and those with limited space in their home.
- Easier for people with physical limitations – It can be difficult for some people to hang clothing on a clothesline. For example, for people using a wheelchair or older people who don’t have much flexibility or strength in their upper arms – using a clothes dryer is much safer and puts less strain on the body.
- Softer and fluffier fabrics – Many people prefer using a dryer than line drying because it makes towels much softer and fluffier.
- Eliminates the need for ironing – For people who hate ironing (does anyone love this?), the dryer is a convenient way of getting rid of wrinkles on clothes.
With so many models of clothes dryers available in Australia today, there is one that will work best for your lifestyle and needs. Our Brisbane household appliances team can help you find the right model for your household — just give us a call and we’ll be happy to talk you through some options.